As an increasing number of companies shift to working remotely to keep their employees safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s understandable to feel overwhelmed by the changes and the unknown of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on a company. To help you feel more in control and prepared for working remotely, our team at Ideal Office Solutions is here to share our best tips, tools, and tactics.
The biggest issue we see with companies working remotely is not having the proper communication processes in place. Whether it’s a daily check-in, updates on current projects, or quick questions, having a process in place for communication is key. We highly recommend utilizing communication software, such as Slack, to help employees regularly communicate. Slack even has the ability to integrate with different programs, such as Asana, which helps manage projects and daily tasks.
Facilitate Remote Collaboration
Collaborating with coworkers takes a little extra planning when you’re working remotely. Whether it’s a conference call, a meeting, or a weekly touch-base, things get a little more complicated when everyone is in different places. because of this, it’s more important than ever to help facilitate remote collaboration between employees. A few ways you can support collaboration in your company include:
- Investing in a reliable video conferencing software such as Zoom or Skype.
- Utilize online polling and surveys to see which areas employees are struggling with when collaborating with their team members (anonymously).
- During presentations and meetings, utilize virtual whiteboards to make it easy for employees to follow along.
Encourage Work-Life Balance
Working from home is a big adjustment, especially when it’s during a global pandemic. When employees don’t have a designated office space or are simply not used to working from home, it can be easy to fall into a routine of working all the time.
To help employees better balance work and their personal lives, always encourage a balance. Remind them that they can still take PTO days and try to avoid putting any extra pressure on them to work long hours.
Maintain Team Culture
A lot of companies that are known for their great team culture, and even those that aren’t, are having a hard time giving employees this culture when they’re working from home. While there is no perfect solution to this, there are a few ways you can help ensure your employees feel connected and not lonely during these unprecedented times.
Some ideas include:
- Virtual Happy Hours – Host a virtual happy hour once or twice a month over Zoom! This will give employees a chance to socialize and relax without being in person.
- Monthly Coffee Chats – Once a month, host a virtual coffee chat where employees can talk openly about any issues or struggles they are facing in their work lives, ask questions, etc.
- Provide Lunch – While this is a time that most companies are cutting costs, consider treating our employees to lunch once a quarter! This can be as easy as sending out a virtual gift card for an allotted amount of money that can be used at the restaurants of their choosing.
While this new “normal” is going to take some time to get used to, it’s important to socially distance and work from home when possible. Whether your team is working in person or remotely, Ideal Office Solutions can help with all of your office design needs. Our dedicated team of experienced professions can help you manage every aspect of your workplace needs and are still here to help, even during these unprecedented times.